Apple invited the world’s technology press at its headquarters in Cupertino on Tuesday to introduce its latest products and to crash the dreams of all those expecting iPhone 5.
CEO Tim Cook during his first major product announcement introduced the new iPhone 4S, which is not a bad deal if you have a belief that the beauty of your electronics lies in its insides. iPhone 4S is faster than iPhone 4, displays more vibrant colors, has a better camera quality and also understands human speech.
Along with the release of the new iPhone 4S, Apple had various announcements to make about the prices of the iPhones, iPod, new partner carriers and iOS 5. Here is a summary off all the happenings at the conference.
- iPhone 4S resembles iPhone 4 in appearance but has a better camera quality. According to Phil Schiller, the Apple Vice-President, iPhone 4S runs seven-Times faster than its predecessor. It is priced at $199 for a 16 GB model and $299 for a 32 GB model. The phone will be available on October 7 for pre-order and the shipping shall begin from October 14.
- Siri, the new iPhone 4S feature recognizes voice and its activation is based on steroids. It can parse natural human language and thus responds to questions like ‘What is the weather like today?’ for which it finds the answer online like the weather report. Siri can read messages, set a reminder, make a calendar appointment, search Google Maps and also search Wikipedia.
- Apple has also decided to give away its 8 GB iPhone 3G along with strings attached. The free phone will come with a two year contract. Even the iPhone 4 can now be purchased at $99 with the same contract. The pricing options will be effective from October 14 when Apple releases iPhone 4S.
- Sprint has become the third owner to get the iPhone 4S, which is a big challenge for it. it has agreed to buy $20 million in iPhones without bothering if it can sell them or not.
- The latest iPod Nano has bigger application icons and also watch-like features. Without any additional devices or sensors, the iPod includes 16 different clock faces and truck runs, steps taken and calories burned.
- iOS 5 will be available for free on Oct 12, which is two days before the launch of iPhone 4S. Apple has introduced new features in the updated version of iOS in June. You will have a new notification centre, folder for magazine and newspaper app subscriptions, messaging like BBM, Twitter integration and a new to-do list app.