Students of Biju Patnaik University of Technology, Orissa, have successfully developed 3G data card which is not just very affordable but also provides other benefits which the other data cards do not provide.
The students have been working on the project since long time and finally after two years of intense labour, they were finally able to develop the device. They have named their device iWebLeaf and priced it at Rs 1300 where as other such devices available in the market are in the price range of Rs 2500 – Rs.3000.
The device is claimed to work on the spectrum of any telecom operator in the country. The unique feature of this device is that it can act as WiFi Hot Spot through which about 300 laptops and 30 mobile phones could be connected to the internet. The speed provided by the device is currently around 7.2 MBPS on 2G and internet access at about 21.1 MBPS.
Specifications of the 3G Data Card
- Based on Qualcomm chipset MSM7200
- WCDMA/UMTS 2100MHZ
- EDGE/GPRS/GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHZ
- HSDPA downlink up to 7.2 mbps
- HSUPA uplink up to 5.76mbps
- UMTS (WCDMA) up to 384 kbps
- EDGE up to 237 kbps
- GPRS up to 85.6 kbps
- Embedded antenna with high sensitivity
- Automatic software installation (no CD)
- LED for status and data
- 2.0 USB interface
- 3V movable SIM slot
- Wireless access to internet
- Send and receive SMS, data
- Input voltage: 5V
- Standby current: 10 mA
- Working current: 200-300mA
- Working temperature: -10 to+55 degrees
- Storage temperature: -20 to+60 degrees
- Work with Windows 2000/XP/Vista/ 7, Linux/Mac
- 4GB storage
Let’s see what will be the future trend in this market. Feel free to comment.